Education and Training Voucher (ETV) funds are available to meet the postsecondary education training needs of youth who have experienced foster care and are enrolled in a qualified higher education program. In Georgia, through a contract with the Georgia Department of Family and Children’s Services, ETV funds are administered by the J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development at the University of Georgia.
Primary Criteria: Youth must have been in foster care for at least 6 months (non-consecutive is ok) and in care on their 14th birthday. See additional criteria below. Additionally, for youth who have achieved permanency through guardianship or adoption after the age of 14 please contact your Independent Living Specialist. (http://www.garyse-ilp.org/)
- can provide support for one certificate program, associates or undergraduate degree per student
- must be an accredited post-secondary educational institution
- students must be between the ages of 18-25
- based on fund availability
- ETV funds are ‘last dollar’ funds, meaning that all other sources of financial aid are applied first and ETV funds can be used to meet unmet need
- State provides up to $12,500 per year, individual institutions may provide additional assistance
- Ages 18-20: $12,500
- Ages 21-23: $10,000
- Ages 24-25: $5,000
- Financial assistance for tuition, possibly room and board, based on individual college costs and college assistance programs
- Youth must coordinate participation through the State DFCS Independent Living Program Specialist
Designated Points of Contact in Georgia: Each USG and TCSG has a Designated Point of Contact to provide connections and link to campus services on their campus. You can find more information about the Designated Points of Contact in Georgia here.
Questions: Contact your Independent Living Specialist directly. You can also contact the Fanning ETV team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note: Every situation is different; any individual student seeking assistance with college experience is handled on an individual basis. This page provides basic information regarding broad guidelines and benefits. The ETV program is being enhanced to improve the student experience - check back often for changes and updates